The goals listed below will be the focus of the work through January 2015 – March 2016.
Connecting with Island Wide Food Security Initiatives
- Represent the Mt. Waddington region at the Food Security Community Advisory Committee events and meetings (October/November), annual strategic planning meeting (February/March) (in-person), Food Security Community Advisory Committee teleconferences (bi-monthly), and Vancouver Island Coastal Communities Indigenous Food Network (VICCIFN) island-wide bridge-building event (October/November)
Building cross cultural understanding
- Participate as a key stakeholder in the VICCIFN Building Bridges for Cultural Understanding (Summer/Fall 2014) and help to engage with prospective participants within the region
Development of a food security advisory committee
- Engage stakeholders in the establishment of a regional food security advisory committee to enable: strategic action and partnerships on food security issues; sharing of information and resources; development of policies supporting food security. (Stakeholder groups include: non-profit, Agriculture, Fisheries, food processing, food retail/food services, local government, First Nations, Education and Health/Health Protection
Regional communication related to Food Security
- Facilitate regional communication and outreach to educate, inform and mobilize community members around community food security activities, resources and issues
North Island food system gathering
- Facilitate information sharing and networking by coordinating a North Island Food Systems event for key food security stakeholders and interested community members across the region.
Professional development event for service providers and other food security stakeholders
- Support professional skill development and networking by coordinating a regional learning event for service providers and other stakeholders working to improve food security.
- Maintain Living Documents: Action Plan Framework, Needs Assessment
- Seeking additional funding for related work